Monday, November 4, 2013

Weekly Check in...

Introduction

The week consisted of me doing some research and looking into Sergeant Stubby.  I went to the library and learned to us the index system more efficiently.  I found some sources about Animal heroes and also ordered a few books through the interlibrary loan system.  One of the things I learned was to use quotations around words to use them as a direct phrase in what ever your searching for.

Results



Went to the library and learned that quotations search for that phrase not individual words this helped a great deal to find certain books easier.

Ordered a few articles about communications and animals.  I received an actual book just a few days later.  I did not expect that.  Some other books I received online via E-mail the next day which was awesome.  I placed the names and links to these resources in the Reference page on this blog.

Also I began a tour builder in Google for Sargent Stubby.  A picture or two will be on this post that will display my progress.  The link to this tour is right here:  Sargent Stubby


Stubby was in a number of battles and survived a gas attack as well as shrapnel from a German hand grenade.


Another point that I would like to mention is the main reason that I am using Google tour builder.  For one it is very user friendly and it is part of Google.  I have a great deal of application that are intertwined with Google.  This allows for easy uploading of photos and other videos. A great example is Youtube.

This is a video I found on Sargent Stubby.

But regardless, I do not like working with the ESRI Storytelling because of the complicated functions as well as the not so user friendly functions.  Such as the complicated adding the CSV file.  I believe that that function could have been made easier and a great deal easier to install and keep updated. The one nice thing about the ESRI program is the ability to change the HTML code for more personalization.  Allows the user to form a variety of displays to help the reader understand what is exactly going on.

Another thing that I updated was the reference page in my blog.  I place a number of links and bibliographies of a few books about animals in World War One.  Blogger is super easy to place links in the text it is as easy as pushing a button.

Conclusion

The progress I hope to make is get the tour done with Stubby and make plans for anther one on Animals.  perhaps pigeons.

A few more mention from Email and fix page for links
got a book today about animal heros in the great war

No comments:

Post a Comment